social icons

search

Words of Hannah Kay

Where words come to life.

more from the blog

Book Review: Jacqueline Rohrbach - The Soulstealers [ARC]

Post cover

The Soulstealers by Jacqueline Rohrbach is a stand alone fantasy novel with a diverse range of characters. With an alternative take on the 'chosen one' trope, this fantasy novel subverts to conventions, giving its audience a welcomed breath of fresh air and new content.


Thank you to Booksirens for allowing me to read this arc in exchange for a honest review!

-=+=-
THE SOULSTEALERS
by Jacqueline Rohrback
Began reading: August 11th 2019
Finished reading: August 13th 2019
-=+=-

I gave this book:

[ ★★★★ stars ]

It was so close to getting five stars too!

It's no secret that I enjoyed this; if Jacqueline Rohrbach releases anymore fantastical novels in the future, you can bet that they are going straight to my TBR list!



MY REVIEW:
may contain spoilers
A family can be three and a half of queer girls and one soft boy.

One thing that this book does very well is characters.

Now, I'm not just talking about the design of them.

I'm talking about a diverse range of under-represented social groups (for example: non-white characters [POCs] and queer/lgbt).

Arnaka Skytree, the protagonist, is a bisexual black female who grows so much over the course of the narrative. She goes from being a small girl pressured into the royal hierarchy by those whose societal positions have already been decided, to a head strong women who knows what she wants and will stop at nothing in order to achieve her goals.

In addition to this, we had aromatic/asexual representation through the character of Nara, and a F/F relationship between Arnaka and Tamlin.


Not only that, but there was a good magic system as well!

On the other hand, the only main negative that I really could find in this book was that the romance felt quite rushed.

I don't really read a lot of the 'enemies to lovers' trope, but I was slightly disappointed as to how this particular relationship turned out: the gradual change of emotion towards the other was too quick for my liking. This may have been because Arnaka's love interest (Tamlin) was introduced much later in the plot (much like how Touchstone in 'Sabriel' [by Garth Nix] was introduced later). Perhaps if Tamlin was introduced earlier, then that would be allowed more time for their relationship to properly develop.

Because of the slight problems with the main romance - and the fact that I initially found it hard to get into the book, I dropped my rating from five stars to four.


Despite this, I would still definitely read a sequel! (please make a sequel!) I want to know what magical adventures Arnaka & co. go on next, and I want to go on that adventure with them.

---

Have you read The Soulstealers yet? If you haven't, I strongly recommend that you do! If you have, I want to hear what you thought about it in the comments section below!

Thank you for reading!

Stay awesome,






You can find me on my social media: 

---

BONUS:
Jacqueline Rohrbach replied to my book review announcement tweet!



---

You can find a link to the book cover here.

Comments

Profile Photo

About Hannah

Profile Bio

Hi, I'm Hannah. This is my blog.

Adventuring into fictional universes is always something that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Now, as an aspiring author, I get to create them too.

Instagram