social icons

search

Words of Hannah Kay

Where words come to life.

more from the blog

Book Review: Rachael Lippincott - Five Feet Apart


post cover

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott, and contributed to by Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis, is a story of two cystic fibrosis surviving teenagers.

I read this as part of the 2019 Mythathon!

-=+=-
FIVE FEET APART
by: Rachael Lippincott
Contributed to by: Mikki Daughtry & Tobias Iaconis

Began reading: August 01st 2019
Finished reading: August 05th 2019
-=+=-


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Feet ApartSYNOPSIS
Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.
What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott...

[ ★★★½ stars ]

Here is my Goodreads version!

MY REVIEW:
may contain spoilers


Five Feet Apart is a cute young adult contemporary novel that focuses and shed light on cystic fibrosis, known as the abreviation CF in the book. 

I flew through pretty quickly! I enjoyed getting to know the characters and seeing how Stella and Will's character arcs evolve. They help each other overcome and survive the mental and physical obstacles of living with the condition.

I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned in a previous book review (I think it was of David Almond's 'Skellig') that I prefer reading and writing from a third person point of view. But with Five Feet Apart, I couldn't imagine it ever being written in anything other than a first person perspective: telling Stella's and Will's story via this way allows us to see up close their struggles, victorys and achievements. I felt more connected; although cystic fibrosis is something that I don't know a lot about, I know that Rachael Lippincott's novel has certainly raised more awareness of the condition and others like it.

However, on the other hand, I sometimes did feel like we were sheltered from the truest version of reality of Cystic Fibrosis. The author gifts this book to everyone who has suffered through CF, is suffering through CF and people who have been affected by it. Yes, publishing a story about cystic fibrosis helps to raise awareness of the illness - but did it really do all of those people justice - especially when we only get the tip of the iceberg in this novel? That's something both you and I need to decide. 
Overall, I enjoyed this book! It was cute, contemporary and an easy read!

---

Have you read this yet? Let me know in the comments what you thought!

Stay awesome,





You can find me on my social media: 

---

Please like the beautiful instagram post of which I got the background image for the post cover from! All credit goes to their rightful oweners.

Comments

Profile Photo

About Hannah

Profile Bio

Hi, I'm Hannah. This is my blog.

Adventuring into fictional universes is always something that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Now, as an aspiring author, I get to create them too.

Instagram