social icons

search

Words of Hannah Kay

Where words come to life.

more from the blog

What Will Happen To My Books When I Go To University?

post cover


This Thursday the 5th of September is my first day back at sixth form. It also marks my the beginning of the end: my final year at my school before I hopefully make a successful leap to University.

If and when I do move to university, my room will be smaller, which means I won't have as much 'bookshelf space' to keep my precious books.

I have tonnes of books; for many years now, my parents have always been on my case to read the books I have instead of buying more. Recently, their new favourite saying has become: Seriously Hannah, you’ll have to be careful. Just think of the weight on the floorboards.

I was exaggerating when I said ‘tonnes’ as when compared to BookTuber’s bookshelves, it makes my 3 Billy Book Cases from IKEA look like a small collection.

This got me thinking.

Obviously, it costs money to buy these books. £7.99 for a paperback and £14.99 for a hardback is kind of a lot to pay for something I am—perhaps—going to read once, return it to my bookshelf and not be touched for a long while (too long, in my opinion).

So, as of me writing this blog post, I have decided two things:

One: I am going to STOP paying bookstore price for new books (that’s right, you read correctly).

Two: I will be selling my books (which means, yes, you will be able to buy them soon!)

Recently, I have discovered this most AMAZING online bookstore that, not only has free UK shipping, but sells second hand books (that sometimes are delivered looking brand new and brought from a shop) from a mere fraction of the high street price. World of Books may not stock everything from your TBR list but the website is updated frequently so make sure to check back frequently.

Onto the second point, and my promise that goes along with it.

As of January 1st 2020, I will be setting my Goodreads goal to 100 books and attempt to re-read my entire bookshelf.

Although I haven’t counted, I’m pretty sure I don’t own 100 books—but still, its nice to aim for something.

Of course, different universities will have different start dates for their courses, which means that I have eight full months (and maybe a little of September) before I officially start to read my bookshelves. During these eight and bit months, I also have my A-Level exams to study, revise and take.

So yes.

This year and the next are going to be a very busy.

But don’t worry!

You guys are going to be coming along with me on this journey!

Robert Downey Jr. !!!

As soon as it becomes available, I will insert the widget for my Goodreads 2020 goal so you can keep track of how much I have read!

Of course, as well as this, I have pages (within the ‘Goodreads’ tab on the navigation tab at the top) in which I have my currently reading, finished reading and my 5 star reads. I’ll also add my 2020 reading goal up there too.

-=+=-

For anyone who is curious, I will be including a FULL list for my bookshelf (aka all the books I currently own that I have yet to decide whether I am selling or not). Books that I have read recently, which for those of you who are reading some point in the future, will still be included on this list but since I still have a fresh memory of the plot/writing/etc., a re-read of these will not be my priority.

Prepare yourself. This is going to be a long list...

  1. City of Bones, Cassandra Clare
  2. City of Ashes, Cassandra Clare
  3. City of Glass, Cassandra Clare
  4. City of Fallen Angels, Cassandra Clare
  5. City of Lost Souls, Cassandra Clare
  6. City of Heavenly Fire, Cassandra Clare
  7. The Bane Chronicles, Cassandra Clare
  8. Ghost of the Shadow Market, Cassandra Clare
  9. Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare
  10. Clockwork Prince, Cassandra Clare
  11. Clockwork Princess, Cassandra Clare
  12. The Shadowhunter Codex, Cassandra Clare
  13. Lady Midnight, Cassandra Clare
  14. Lord of Shadow, Cassandra Clare
  15. Queen of Air and Darkness, Cassandra Clare
  16. Saltwater, Jessica Andrews
  17. Crown of Feathers, Nicki Pau-Preto
  18. You, Caroline Keynes
  19. The Girl King, Mimi Yu
  20. Throne of Glass, Sarah J. Maas
  21. Crown of Midnight, Sarah J. Maas
  22. Heir of Fire, Sarah J. Maas
  23. Queen of Shadows, Sarah J. Maas
  24. Empire of Storms, Sarah J. Maas
  25. Tower of Dawn, Sarah J. Maas
  26. Kingdom of Ash, Sarah J. Maas
  27. The Assassin's Blade, Sarah J. Maas
  28. Once & Future, Amy Rose Caetta & Cori McCarthy
  29. Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo
  30. Siege and Storm, Leigh Bardugo
  31. Ruin and Rising, Leigh Bardugo
  32. Six of Crows, Leigh Bardugo
  33. Crooked Kingdom, Leigh Bardugo
  34. King of Scars, Leigh Bardugo
  35. Everless, Sara Holland
  36. The Maze Runner, James Dashner
  37. The Scorch Trials, James Dashner
  38. The Death Cure, James Dashner
  39. The Devouring Gray, Christine Lynn Herman
  40. Sisters Red, Jackson Pearce
  41. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
  42. The Cruel Prince, Holly Black
  43. Five Feet Apart, Rachael Lippincott w/ Mikki Daughtry & Tobias Iaconis
  44. Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell
  45. Carry On, Rainbow Rowell
  46. Truthwitch, Susan Dennard
  47. Windwitch, Susan Dennard
  48. The Magician's Nephew, C. S. Lewis
  49. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, C. S. Lewis
  50. The Horse and his Boy, C. S. Lewis
  51. Prince Caspian, C. S. Lewis
  52. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C. S. Lewis
  53. The Silver Chair, C. S. Lewis
  54. The Last Battle, C. S. Lewis
  55. Sketchy, Doubtful, Incomplete Jottings, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  56. Hannah the Happy Ever After Fairy, Daisy Meadows
  57. Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick
  58. Crescendo, Becca Fitzpatrick
  59. Silence, Becca Fitzpatrick
  60. Finale, Becca Fitzpatrick
  61. Scythe, Neal Shusterman
  62. Sabriel, Garth Nix
  63. Lirael, Garth Nix
  64. Abhorsen, Garth Nix
  65. Across The Wall, Garth Nix
  66. Clariel, Garth Nix
  67. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J. K. Rowling
  68. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J. K. Rowling
  69. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J. K. Rowling
  70. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J. K. Rowling
  71. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J. K. Rowling
  72. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J. K. Rowling
  73. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling
  74. Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, Enid Blyton
  75. The Wishing-Chair Again, Enid Blyton
  76. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
  77. Four, Veronica Roth
  78. Northen Lights, Phillip Pullman
  79. The Subtle Knife, Phillip Pullman
  80. The Amber Spyglass, Phillip Pullman
  81. The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
  82. Three Dark Crowns, Kendare Blake
  83. Riverdale: The Day Before, Micol Ostow
  84. The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons and Ghouls, Alex Irvine
  85. After, Anna Todd
  86. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 1, Sui Ishida
  87. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 2, Sui Ishida
  88. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 3, Sui Ishida
  89. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 4, Sui Ishida
  90. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 5, Sui Ishida
  91. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 6, Sui Ishida
  92. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 7, Sui Ishida
  93. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 8, Sui Ishida
  94. Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 9, Sui Ishida
  95. Shadow, Michael Morpurgo
  96. The Ghost of Grania O'Malley, Michael Morpurgo
  97. Dracula, Bram Stoker
  98. Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle
  99. The Fire Eaters, David Almond
  100. Skellig, David Almond
  101. Island, David Almond
  102. IT, Stephen King
  103. The Song of Achilles, Madeline Miller
  104. Kindred Spirits, Rainbow Rowell
  105. Nought Forever, Malorie Blackman
  106. Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
  107. Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater
  108. Linger, Maggie Stiefvater
  109. Forever, Maggie Stiefvater
  110. This Song Will Save Your Life, Leila Sales
  111. The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
  112. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, Elizabeth Gilbert
  113. The Hazel Wood, Melissa Albert
  114. A Glossary of Literary Terms, 5th edition, M. H. Abrams
  115. Modern Children's Literature, Kimberley Reynolds
  116. The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkein
  117. The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkein
  118. The Two Towers, J. R. R. Tolkein
  119. The Return of the King, J. R. R. Tolkein

Well, I now know that I (currently) own over 100 books! Like what?!

Joey!
I'm just as surprised as you are!

When I look at my bookshelves, it honestly doesn't seem they hold as much as that! No wonder my parents keep reminding me to #SaveTheFloorboards!

-=+=-

ANYWAYS!

I know, it’s still only September, but have you decided (or at least have an idea) what your reading goals are for 2020? Originally mine was going to be 40 books (because 20 + 20 is 40, obviously), but, obviously, as I’ve just explained, I changed my mind.Who knows: maybe that goal of 100 books will change again?

Fellow bookworms and avid readers and anyone who is reading this, what would you do in this situation? If you have an idea, let me know in the comments section!

Thank you for reading!

Stay awesome,




Want to continue the conversation? You can find me on my social media: 

Comments

Profile Photo

About Hannah

Profile Bio

Hi, I'm Hannah. This is my blog.

Adventuring into fictional universes is always something that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Now, as an aspiring author, I get to create them too.

Instagram